Tuesday 1 April 2014

Day one/week one: Working out and getting fit

Actually, yesterday was day one, but here I am posting a bit late. After such a miserable winter, full of filling comfort foods and inactivity, I have decided I need to move my butt if I really really really want to get in shape. I will be honest, I have tried to lose weight in the past, there have been many failed attempts. I have also had some success, but after looking back on the hard work it took to be successful, I have felt pretty discouraged in doing it again. Will this time be any different? I sure hope so!

So what are my goals? What am I doing?

For starters, if you know me (and for those of you who don't) I am on the heavy side - chubby, fat, overweight, whatever you want to call it, that's me. I'm not saying I want or NEED to be skinny and that I am hating myself and my fatness right now, but I know I can and should be healthier and it's up to me to make that happen. My goal is to get in shape, lose between 20-30 pounds, have more energy and I hope to feel better all around (less aches and pains, which I know are due to being too heavy). What am I doing? For starters I am working on cutting out all junk foods (chips, chocolate...chips...oh I love chips). Bread is already out (and I feel better for staying away from it). What I am eating are more veggies, fruit, beans and grains. And everything in moderation. I have also signed up for a couple of exercise classes at a community centre. Why a community centre instead of a gym? It is much more cost effective. I have paid for 12 weeks of spin classes and you can bet I am going to every last one. Gym memberships are pricey and it happens all too often that you get one and don't really get to the gym as frequently as you should. Also, gyms can be intimidating, lots of workout-addicted muscle-heads (no thank you). Last night was my first spin class. A small group of 8 (me being the youngest!) and it was intense, but not crazy and competitive. Today, however, I can't walk! I have used some muscles I did not know I had, and those muscles are fighting back, angry because I disturbed them. But the pain has to be good pain, right? I am hoping I recover for Thursday, because that is Zumba night (yay!). I know of some people who have taken Zumba classes and said they were really fun and a great workout, so I thought I would give it a try. In between those two classes, I intend on going for more walks, now that the weather is starting to improve.

I will post my progress as I go, but by the end of the summer I hope to be a new person!

No comments:

Post a Comment