Saturday 15 March 2014

The winter from hell continues

This winter has been one hell of a winter. There has been more snow and ice than I recall in any winter past and what makes this worse is that things just don't seem to be easing up. This past Tuesday the weather took a spring-like turn and things started melting...I could see grass (dead looking grass, but grass nonetheless). But the spring weather was not to last. The weather reports were calling for a snow storm Wednesday. Obviously, after the winter we have had I was dreading the possibility of more snow, but so often the weather reports blow things out of proportion and we get off rather lightly. Not this time. Nope, we had MORE snow than was called for (I have never shoveled so much snow in a single day). I have been plunged back into depressed-winter-mode.


The only thing to keep me going are my little seedlings. Along with being the time of year for depressing and unpredictable weather, it is also seed-starting season! That means I have gone mental buying seeds, seed starting soil mix, seed starting kits and I have begun to hoard all yogurt containers, milk cartons and basically anything else that can be used to house a seedling. The husband must think I am nuts, with me inspecting every container for grow-ability before it goes to the recycle bin and the cat hates me because I have hijacked every window ledge in the house.



So far I have a few zucchini plants that are growing like mad (seriously, if the weather doesn't hurry up and change I don't know what I will do with them), some mystery tomatoes...mystery because I got so over excited with my planting that I forgot to label the pots and now have no clue what is what! I also have some marigolds that are really coming to life. In total (thus far) I have planted five different varieties of tomatoes, chard, leeks, two types of peppers, spring onions, cucumbers, eggplant, parsnips (for the hell of it) and turnips. I have even more that I intend on direct sowing IF the garden ever comes to life. Ambitious? You bet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment