Friday 11 January 2013

Curried Acorn Squash and Sweet Potato Soup

Since the pea soup I made earlier this week has almost completely disappeared (as if by magic!), it is time for more soup...this time I am making a curried acorn squash and sweet potato soup. Normally I would do one or the other - the squash or the sweet potato, but this time I decided to mix the two since I bought what may be the world's smallest acorn squash and possibly the world's largest sweet potato*!


The squash was not just tiny, it looked a bit sad and pale on the inside (but so pretty on the outside!). So I am hoping the sweet potato, a good dose of curry and some coconut milk will help save the day. This soup is going to be a big batch, so I am bringing out the BIG POT!

I received this pot as a Christmas gift several years back from my parents. It is great for making large batches of soup and chili. I have not stopped using it...even though it weighs a ton and is a pain to wash!

I decided to try this powered coconut milk, rather than the canned stuff I usually buy - turns out it is great and works out to a better price, plus if you are stuck carrying your groceries home, it is much easier to carry this one box rather than a bunch of cans!

Curried Acorn Squash and Sweet Potato Soup

Makes aprox. 10 cups


2 Onions
2 Cloves minced garlic
1Carrot
1 Small acorn squash (peeled/cubed)
1 Large sweet potato (peeled/cubed)
4 Cups chicken or veg stock
2 Cups coconut milk
1 Tbsp Curry powder
2 Tsp Ground cumin
2 Tsp Tumeric
1-2 Tbsp Curry paste**
1 Tbsp Tomato paste
2 Tbsp Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
**I used a mild curry paste, so I threw in 2 heaped Tbsp, but if you are using something hotter or if you want more/less heat, just adjust to your liking.

Start by sauteing the onions in the olive oil on medium heat until they soften, then throw in the garlic and chopped carrot. Next add the acorn squash and sweet potato, chopped into small-ish cubes. Stir everything together and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Add the curry powder, cumin, tumeric, tomato paste and curry paste and stir well to coat all the veg. At this point things look like hell, but I promise it will get better! Give everything another 5 minutes to cook before adding the stock, followed by the coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce and allow to simmer for 30-40 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as you like.

After the soup has simmered you can blend it smooth with an immersion blender, or leave it as-is if you want a chunkier soup. Since the soup is pretty rich, I stick to small portions and have a little something on the side - it is also really yummy poured over some cooked rice!


*I picked out the smallest of the LARGEST sweet potatoes I have ever seen..in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment